Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Book of Life: Chapter 1 - Friendship

What is the purpose of friendship?


"A friend is a person who is for you always…he wants nothing from you except that you be yourself. He is the one being with whom you can feel safe. With him you can utter your heart, its badness and its goodness. Like the shade of a great tree in the noonday heat is a friend…he is the Antidote to Despair, the Elixir of Hope, the Tonic for Depression."

-Just Good Friends-


Here’s a nice poem also derived from the book “Just Good Friends?”…


Will you be my friend?

There are so many reasons why you never should

I’m sometimes sullen, often shy, acutely sensitive

My fear erupts as anger. I find it hard to give

I talk about myself when I’m afraid

And often spend a day without anything to say

But I will make you laugh

And love you quite a bit

And hold you when you’re sad

Will you be my friend?

A friend

Who far beyond the feebleness of any vow or tie

Will touch the secret place

Where I am really I…

And if at times, I show my trembling side

The anxious, fearful part I hide

I wonder

Will you be my friend?

-James Kavanaugh-